Saturday, March 19, 2011

Home Away From Home

This is just a peek at the grandeur of our "superior suite." What you can not see is the Living Room/Dining area, kitchen and powder room. All in all, this is "top of the line" living. Since we have been here about a week, we are settling into our new "digs" and upon the advice of some friends are seriously considering ways to slow down the construction underway at our apartment. Two months might be rushing things as there is a lot to be said in an environment where before you can ask for some "want" (not need), it is been anticipated and waiting for you to consume.

A far cry from the wonderful world of hunger and poverty.

As some of you know, I spent all of my working life in the Home Furnishings industry, and a great deal of that indentured servitude within the bedding industry. Therefor, I must comment on the king size bed we share. It might be the best night's sleep we have ever enjoyed. So much so that I had to find out the name of the manufacturer. To my great surprise, it is Sealy. The makers of the Sealy Posturepedic. I spent many years with that company, and can assure you that this product not only is better than their usual product, but beyond anything our R&D department was capable of conceiving. As a matter of fact, if they had devised a product of this nature none of the plants in the Sealy network could have produced it.

We have a morning ritual of having a cup of decaf and a bran muffin to share at Sicaffe, our favorite spot, located on Lexington Avenue near our home. So one morning, we got lazy and decided not to walk the seven blocks to Sicaffe and would have our usual mid-morning snack in the hotel. When presented with the check, I came close to cardiac arrest. The bill with tip was $31. We decided that we would enjoy our morning break elsewhere in the future.

For your enjoyment, view the various food choices and in particular the Room Service menu. This is a large file and may take time to download.

Before I close this post, thanks to all of you who wrote to express your interest in my continuing to update our Adventures At The Carlyle. Since we started publishing the KIDS newsletter, I got used to silence from our readers. I certainly was not prepared for compliments and support in this endeavor.

This blog (my first) came about at coffee one morning when Elsa, a friend who relocated from Iron Mountain, MI to NYC because she heard that the coffee was so good, casually told me I should start a blog about our Carlyle adventure. Her exact words were, "The Plaza had Eloise, The Carlyle has the Levines."

I never thought that The Carlyle would end up getting the short end of the stick.

More to come...

1 comment: