Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Pillows!

I know that some of you did not believe the story about the embroidered pillows, so for those of little faith here is the proof.


Yesterday afternoon when we returned to our room, I sensed that something was wrong. I looked around and suddenly realized that Jane's pillow contained her initials, but mine was bare. For some reason, I thought that I was deprived of my manhood. I quickly called Housekeeping and told them that my initials had disappeared and wanted to know what I did wrong and why I was being punished. They assured me that all was well and that my pillow was being washed and would be returned later in the day. I guess that is a nice way of telling me that I am a slob. The next infraction (whatever it is) will probably mean that my pillow will be encased in plastic wrapping. Stay tuned for further developments.


It does bring up some interesting questions about the future of the pillowcases, such as:
  • when we leave do these pillowcases with our initials go into a large storage area in the hopes that another JL and LL are guests?
  • are they recycled and come back as an entirely different item?
  • are they given to us as fond memories of the hotel, or held until we return? (Might not be in this lifetime!)
Time will tell.




Monday is a special day for all who enjoy living in a suite at The Carlyle. For our first three weeks in residence, "F" stood for "fruit day." It was so this past Monday, but we were upgraded to fruit and flowers. I can't help but picture Roman Patricians reclining on their couches eating grapes and sipping wine. Not to mention having a good orgy every once in awhile. Don't worry as we go no further than the grapes. 


I might mention that when they delivered the fruit, they neglected to ring the doorbell. There was an embarrassing moment when I thought I heard a noise in the Living room and went out to investigate. Since I was in the midst of changing into my exercise pants, I was not at my best. I retreated back into the Bed Room and he lunged for the door. Now when ever I am in the apartment, I make sure the "Privacy" sign is on the door.


To show what a dum-dum I am, That very night I had to relearn the lesson of the "privacy." Those who know us know that we are early to bed and early to rise. That is not standard fare at The Carlyle. Every night Housekeeping comes by to turn down the beds and probably leave a dollop of chocolate. They do this about 8:30pm and before we worked out a system, we were constantly being awakened. The system is really simple, just put the Privacy notification on the door and no one dares to ring the bell. Well, I forgot to do it, and they swooped in for the kill. Proving once again that compulsive people do compulsive things. And that is a real plus in the hotel business.


One of the most famous songs from The King and I was "It's A Puzzlement" sung by Yul Brynner. While not singing the song (better for all), we have been having our own "puzzlement." There are four elevators in the central bank and three of them are dedicated to guests of the hotel. If you believe (as we do) that everything that goes up must come down, then you join us in trying to figure the following out. We have noticed that despite having elevator operators, there are times when there are extended delays in getting a "down" elevator. Since there are no indicators showing where an elevator is at any time and what direction it is going, we simply had to wait. Since we had nothing to do, we started to time it took from when we rang for an elevator and when it arrived. Our record is 10 minutes. This does not mean that there was a wait every time, but more often than not there was a wait.


The work on our apartment is moving along much too fast. There is no doubt that we will be back home by the end of the month. As you can tell from this blog, while I will be glad to be back at 140 I will miss The Carlyle.


One final note. Today they took Jane's pillow case. I have learned that there are more than one pillow case for us and they are rotated. This is usually done when we are out and about so that we are unaware of this.


Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Shades of Nero and "A Funny Thing Happened On the way to the Forum", funny-I love it. Come on, and peel me a grape!

    I also love the pillowcase and elevator routine. I wonder if the people washing the pillowcase are the same ones running the elevator-efficiency-an illusive mystery to be sure.

    The apartment looks great by the way.

    Hope to see you soon. Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll continue your blog. "Life After the Carlyle" Toga Party?!

    ReplyDelete